MailChimp

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Quarantine Food Diaries, Day 18 ( really 24), Jai Hanuman, Moqueca ( Brazilian Fish Stew)


“The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.”

― Mahatma Gandhi




 We all have power, each of us, but how we use our power, that sets apart those who are able to stand outside of ego based consciousness and those that are not able. I woke this morning feeling once again my devotion to unconditional love being challenged by the misuse of power in others and was left feeling a deep sadness.
 Today is the spiritual holiday of  Lord Hanuman in India. Lord Hanuman symbolically stands for pure devotion, complete surrender and absence of ego or the lower self. His character tells us what we can do in our lives by becoming pure devotees of God, aligning ourselves with the forces of good, helping the weak, with self control, unconditional love and total surrender. How many of us are actually willing to make this our daily discipline? This period of quarantine can be a time to reflect on how we use our power, how we can discipline the mind  to leave the ego in each instant, raising our vibration  to one that seeks to offer love and view with compassion. Couldn't we opt to press the pause button before speaking, take a breath, see behind the thought creating the desire to misuse the power we have? I challenge you to choose today to empty your cup of all the preconceived ideas you have about how one is supposed to be a parent, a child, a friend, a lover, a coworker, an employer, a student, a teacher and instead ask how understanding we are all the same can shake up your perceptions. 

I love you when you are strong.
I love you when you are not.
I love you when you are beautiful and
I love you when your physical beauty fades because it is not that which made you beautiful to me to begin with.
I love you when I see your light shining, burning through all your shadows and 
I love the you that sees the shadows and has compassion for what they were born of.
I love the you that embraces the world and the you that takes reprieve from it to restore. 
I love the you that is the witness and the you that struggles to return to it over and over  again.
I love the you that reaches the stars and the you whose roots touch the core of the earth. 
I love the you that is me and the you that is all of us.



Moqueca - Brazilian Fish Stew
Feeds 2 



1/2 lb cod
4 small squid with tentacles
2 limes
2 garlic cloves minced
2 tomatoes
1/2 red onion
1 red or orange pepper
1 bunch cilantro
1 14oz can coconut milk
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp chili oil

1 cup Nishiki rice
Mirin 

Cut squid in rings and cod in pieces and coat in juice of 1 lime, salt pepper, and 1 minced garlic clove, set aside.

Saute´chopped onion, red pepper and tomatoes in olive oil until translucent on medium heat, add spices and coat well. Add fish and coconut milk, cilantro, bring to a boil cover and simmer 10-15 min.  At the same time start your rice. 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cup water, pinch of salt, boil cover and simmer 10 min. Add a dash of Mirin, set aside.

Plating, use a soup bowl and ladle in your Moqueca, place a ball of sticky rice in a separate bowl to add in. garnish with sauteéd dark greens, cilantro leaves, and chili oil !



Meet me on the mat Budokon Yoga flow





No comments:

Post a Comment