MailChimp

Monday, March 30, 2020

Quarantine Food Diaries, Day 13, Resourcefulness




We are adaptable creatures, humans, and this global time out was what we had been screaming for actually. As a yoga teacher I can't tell you how many times I heard people silently screaming for down time. This forced down time has seen many faces, I revisited  a passage recently that I thought really talked about this well. Christopher Sartain in his book,  The Sacred Science of Yoga and the Five Koshas, poses this:
"It is imbalance, chaos, and disharmony that causes creation. It is the universe's ebb and flow and search for harmony and order out of chaos that allows all to exist and evolve. " 
Necessity is the mother of invention. Though this period seems outrageously oppressive and disconnected, literally isolating, it has also brought about creation in areas that may not have been explored by individuals looking to reach a new normal within this chaos.
I am watching and listening to those I know and love talk about deeper connections with family, making bread and milks at home, going inward and discovering that landscape. I love these aspects of this time. It is a rare and amazing, looking at this helps to balance the onslaught minute by minute news reports, I implore you to turn off your televisions and bake bread, make almond or cashew milk.
My daughter called me and excitedly shared she was making a variety of nut milks and wanted to share, have a tasting... like mother like daughter I suppose. She walked out to me, silver tray in hand, 5 crystal shot glasses filled with variations in sweetness, additions of espresso and a beautifully whipped espresso cream to add as the "crema" atop any of the 4 versions. I've made this the subject of today's recipe. I will say I preferred the cashew milk which surprised me. I was also amazingly surprised at the

Almond or Cashew Milk 






1cup raw nuts (almonds or cashews) 
4 cups filtered water
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
cheese cloth
blender
mason jar for storage


soak nuts overnight, or 6 hours in hot water if you're impatient
drain nuts, blend with 4 cups of filtered water blend on medium, add maple syrup, vanilla and salt, blend another minute. Strain through cheesecloth or nut milk bag and squeeze as much out as you can, you could double strain but she doesn't. 


Another friend I'll pass along found a foolproof no knead bread recipe for those of you out there who are eating wheat products... looks good, keep up the kitchen love.



I have stalled on this post for one reason, I recorded a good vigorous vinyasa flow of 1:15 minutes but I totally screwed up a posture name and decided I would cut it and be able to edit later... I'm stumped, no go, can't edit it out who knows, but excuse the blip and enjoy the class!!


No comments:

Post a Comment