MailChimp

Monday, May 4, 2020

QUARANTINE FOOD DIARIES, CHIA SEED COCONUT MILK PUDDING, CONVERSATIONS ON BREATH

What do we mean when we say "drop into your breath" ? I took a walk in nature today, an improvisational day that found us in a  wild animal preserve still open for walking it's many trails. We came upon a a perfect seat, a sun bleached log made into a bench in a clearing, white sand beneath it, the whiteness of it in the sun surrounded by deep forest green of spring was what an oasis looks like in the middle of the desert. I sat upon it, the air still crisp but the sun warming. I gently placed my hands upon my knees, feet solidly on the ground and closed my eyes. When we begin to remove sensation and perception from the body and mind, by way of closing the eyes, by way of being in  a physically relaxing but upright position we can focus more easily on the breath. The ability to have a therapeutic yoga practice relies mainly on your ability to focus on the breath and find the place of ease in each posture. This is what it means to "drop" into your breath, to find ease within your physical and mental state so much so that the breath is the focus, not external or internal stimuli. For each of us this space is different, I encourage you to try to find it daily.  Find where your body is no longer "speaking" to you, where it just exists as a the vessel for your true self and you become less and less aware of it. This is when meditation comes with ease, this is when you "drop" into your breath and the your mental chatter slows. 


I woke to make something new after a two day fast, I wanted to give my body a rest and renew but my love of cooking could never see me dieting for any length of time. I soaked chia seeds in coconut milk, probably one of my all time favorite textures, creamy, a little sweet, a little salty and great mouth feel with a tiny crunch, so easy.

Coconut Milk Chia Parfait 



1/3 cup chia seeds
1 13.5 oz can of full fat organic coconut milk
1 tbsp maple syrup ( stevia if you are keto)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

Place all the ingredients together in a airtight container to keep in the fridge, stir well and let set up for about and hour, ladle alternating coco chia pudding and fresh berries and a little mint if you have it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment