MailChimp

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Quarantine Food Diaries, Day 4 Sweet Relief



"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
-Marcel Proust


No truer could a statement be than this right now, I used it before to calm my wanderlust but these last 4 days I think it could be a mantra for all of us.  Its raining and grey today, my alarm rang and I chose to lay longer in between awake and asleep. My days are not so different from my usual, I have been working from home for the past three years. Those of you who thought I was an extrovert have been surprised to see my introvert behaviors in full swing the last few years, and this shift has brought me what I had always looked for, internal calm. The way this manifests in me is much like Proust's quote about having new eyes being the ultimate discovery, and my discovery of internal peace through less doing and more being was just that.  This forced isolation  may have you kicking and screaming with anxiety but I would ask that maybe you could choose how you decide each moment how you are going to react or respond. There is actually very little we can control, what we can do however is decide how we show up to each moment. This is an opportunity to examine if your worrying is of service to you or if it is instead a useless waste of your time.  An opportunity to discern the behavior that is necessary right now, that of self isolation is a worthy consideration given the science shown about how this horrible pandemic is passed. 
It is said that Henry the VIII locked himself in his room during the black plague, as now, there was no vaccine against the plague and therefore isolating was the only option, I totally understand him. 
I commit to keeping my immunity high through yoga, movement, and clean eating, I hope to offer this for you as well.
We recorded a 40 min Vinyasa Class for anyone interested and you can find it here:




I thought maybe a little breakfast goodie was in store for today,  as I woke up to grey skies, warm cereal felt like just the thing after practice. It is no mistake I am cooking with root vegetables and making a warm porridge for breakfast. These things address specifically our root chakra through diet, our place of security, the feeling that you are safe, I will offer this through each of the facets I can. 
So today I reached into the cupboard for my cracked buckweat, as I am gluten free, you can use, amaranth, millet, rice or oatmeal as well, each has a little different cooking time so pay attention to that but ultimately we are making a base porridge and turning it into a rainbow of a bowl full of phytonutrients and immunity building, anxiety calming boosts!



Buckwheat Breakfast Bowl
feeds 2

1/2  Cup  Buckwheat Cereal
1 1/2 cups water or water/ almond milk  (additional warmed milk if desired to put on top)
salt
grated orange zest
a pinch of hemp hearts
1 tsp Ashwaganda ( natural anti anxiety adaptogen) 
sprinkle cinnamon
sprinkle spirullina
handful pine nuts ( or any nut you've got)
1 tbsp butter
1 spoonful of almond butter per bowl
maple syrup or honey to taste
blueberries
mango

Take 1/2 tbsp of butter and melt over low heat in a small pan and brown pine nuts in it, careful not to burn. Set aside

Put water and milk together with Buckwheat and a pinch of salt and the other 1/2 tbsp of butter in a pan to boil, turn the heat to low and simmer 10 min. At the end remove from heat and mix in cinnamon and ashwaganda a little maple syrup or honey.

Compose your bowl:
buckwheat cereal porridge, blueberries, mango, a spoonful of buttered pine nuts and top with sprinkled hemp hearts, spirullina, a scoop of almond butter and fill one side with a little warmed milk and maybe additional syrup or honey if you like it sweeter!



Keto Almond Butter Cups





3/4 cup almond butter ( I use crunchy)
2 tsp stevia or if you are not strict Keto 1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp millet for more crunch
2 tbsp coconut flakes
almond or coconut flour 
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon to taste
Pink Himalayan sea salt to taste

1 Package Lily's chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients (not the chips) together and add your flour enough to make the almond butter mixture feel just firm enough to make balls, if you add too much it will make your butter cup too dry, so go slow, my almond butter was super oily so I needed about a 1/4 cup of almond flour.  

Make little balls, you choose your size but they are rich so...
make a bain marie ( double boiler) a bowl above soft boiling water to melt the chocolate chips
remove from heat when melted and quickly dip butter balls in and place them individually on parchment paper and put in the fridge!

I sprinkle a little cayenne and Himalayan sea salt on each 







No comments:

Post a Comment